Necklaces and pendant chains are available in a variety of different lengths, but not every length will look the same on each individual. A lot of key factors such as height, body shape and even face shape can contribute to the look of a necklace. The different necklace lengths that we offer in our Hayseed and Snake chains are 16”, 18”, 20” & 24” and our Tondas are measured in, 38cm (15”), 40cm (15.7”), 42cm (16.5”), 45cm (17.7”), 48cm (18.9”) lengths. As a rule of thumb you would always choose a Tonda in a shorter length than you would choose a Hayseed or Snake chain.
Just like clothing and other accessories, your face shape can determine what style of necklace suits you better than others.
• Round/Oval – Look for necklaces that elongate the face such as those that are between 20”-24”. This will help frame the face effortlessly, creating a v-shape that brings the eye down.
• Square/ Oblong – A choker or shorter necklace style will help soften the sharper angels of the face, highlighting a longer neck.
• Heart-Shaped – Like a square/ oblong face, if your face is more heart shaped, try shorter necklaces from 16”-18” to really help soften the face’s angles.
Those that are shorter or taller in height, typically have the hardest time in finding a necklace shape that is right for them. Shorter women, often find that long necklaces are made too long and taller women find that a necklace that is supposed to be longer, sits too short on the torso. Take a look at our height examples to find the best length for your height.
• Short – If you have a shorter frame of 5'4” or below, then look for necklaces that help elongate your frame, but not hang too low. If you are looking for a shorter necklace try the 16”-18” length, as this should fit your proportions correctly. When looking at longer necklaces, try between 20”-24” as this will hang effortlessly.
• Tall – With a taller frame you can usually wear any necklace length, but longer styles will work particularly well as they will accentuate your height. When looking at shorter styles, ensure that the necklace size complements your face shape before you buy.
• Regular Height – Luckily those that are between 5'4” and 5'7” can wear any necklace length, but remember to consider your face shape and body type before you buy.
A factor that can be over-looked when purchasing necklace lengths is body type and neck size. For women, your dress size or size of your bust can determine how a necklace will sit against the body. Women with larger busts should typically op for shorter necklaces and avoid those that are longer that 24” as they won't sit comfortably. If you have a smaller bust, then longer, layered necklaces will look great on you. The same occurs for your neck size, if you have a thicker neck then avoid chokers as this will make your neckline look shorter. If you have a long, thin neck, then a choker can help bring proportion to your neckline and face.
• Pear shaped – As your body is smaller on the top then it is at the bottom, look for necklaces that help broaden your shoulders. Necklaces that are 18”-24” work well as they sit just above your bust and draw attention towards your upper body.
• Athletic – Those that have an athletic shape can typically wear any type of necklace, although longer necklaces can help elongate your body more.
• Hourglass – For an hourglass shape, try a necklace length that just sits on your décolletage to help accentuate your curves.
• Inverted Triangle – With broader shoulders, longer length necklaces will help bring the eye down to your waist, highlighting the smallest part of your body.
Now that you understand what necklace suits you, it’s time to see what necklace suits the neckline of your outfit. Take a look at our guide below to complete your outfit perfectly.